Brexit - Green Card Guidance

Last updated to brokers on 14th December 2020

With negotiations continuing over the United Kingdom’s exit of the European Union (EU), we want to update you on the potential impact for customers following the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020. The Association of British Insurers (ABI) and Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB) advise that drivers should be prepared to have a Green Card with them when driving in the EU. Provided you carry a physical copy of your Green Card with you, you will be allowed to drive in EU countries.

Why is a Green Card needed? 

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which guarantees that the motorist has the necessary third party insurance cover. These certificates prove that customers are suitably insured to drive in these countries. A physical copy of a Green Card is needed when travelling as digital copies are not currently accepted. If customers arrive at the border without a physical copy of a Green Card, they will not be allowed to drive in that country and risk being fined and/or having their vehicle impounded.

It is important to note that where a trailer or caravan is being towed, a separate Green Card is required for the towing vehicle and the trailer/caravan so two Green Cards will be required whenever a trailer or caravan is being towed.

What does it mean to your customers? 

At present, Covéa Insurance customers have a motor insurance policy that allows them to drive within the European Union, cover is still in place and nothing will change. If your customers are planning a trip that is completed before the 31 December 2020 then there is no change for them.

How will we be issuing Green Cards?

The process of issuing Green Cards for driving within the EU is currently being implemented by us. Until more certainty is provided about the formal agreement, the guidance in the interim is that customers should contact us, as the insurer, if customers intend to drive abroad at least a month before travel. There are some differences in the approach we will be taking across our business areas, detailed as follows:

Personal Lines & Commercial Lines

Covéa Insurance will issue Green Cards for customers travelling overseas when they are required. In order to arrange this, please speak to your regular Covéa Insurance contact.

High Net Worth

Covéa Insurance will automatically issue Green Cards for all vehicles we are covering under an Executive Motor policy (identified by a policy number with an EM prefix). The Green Card will be valid until the renewal date of the policy, at which point an annual Green Card will be issued.

If you know that a policyholder will already be driving in the EU after the 31 December 2020, please let us know to ensure that a Green Card can be issued prior to travel.

Will there be a fee for Green Cards? 

Covéa Insurance will not charge to issue Green Cards to private car customers.