Sickness and Unemployment Claim Guidance for Payment and Income Protection policies

January 2021

The answers below are designed to provide guidance on our approach to certain claim scenarios in reference to Coronavirus (COVID-19). Your policy document will provide details of what you are covered for, so please review that if your query isn’t answered below. Please also bear in mind that your policy will have a qualifying period before you can submit a claim so do check that before you contact us.

We are currently experiencing unprecedented demand in our Customer Service operations and suffering significant wait times, so the team will take longer than usual to respond. 

I'm struggling to make my next premium payment. What should I do?

We understand that many people’s livelihoods have been affected by Covid-19. If you are struggling to make a premium payment at this time, we will do our best to help. Please call us on 0330 134 8500 and have your policy number to hand. We’ll be happy to discuss your circumstances with you.

Can I claim if I have to stop work to care for a member of my family?

Employed and self-employed – If you have selected unemployment cover then you may be able to claim for having to stop work to care for an immediate member of your family. That member of the family would typically be in receipt of a benefit such as Personal Independence Allowance. In these cases we can consider a claim if you involuntarily stop work to become a carer and you qualify for Carer’s Allowance.

Can I claim for unpaid leave?

Employed – Cover is typically provided for involuntarily unemployment, i.e. your contract has been terminated by your employer.  As long as unemployment is not as a result of your actions and subject to the terms of your cover, you will be able to claim once you are registered as unemployed with Jobcentre Plus. If you have been sent home from work but remain employed, unfortunately the cover doesn’t apply here, and you are unable to claim on this policy.

You may be entitled to additional government support as part of their Coronavirus (Covid-19) package of initiatives, so please check their website for more information:

Self-employed – Cover is typically provided if you’re unable to find sufficient work to meet your needs. In most cases, depending on the cover you have purchased, you can only claim if you have permanently ceased to trade. You will also need to register as unemployed with Jobcentre Plus. Please refer to your policy for the exact details of your cover.

Can I claim if I have to self-isolate?

Employed and Self-employed – Cover is provided if you have been certified unfit to work by your doctor, or you have suffered involuntary unemployment and are registered for Jobseeker’s Allowance, or Universal Credits. If you are self-isolating then you will not be able to claim unless you meet the above requirements.

Can I claim for a reduction in hours?

Employed – There is no provision within your cover for a reduction in hours.  Policies typically provide cover only for involuntarily unemployment, i.e. your contract of employment has been terminated by your employer.

Self-employed – There is no provision within your cover for reduced hours, or income.

How do I apply for Jobseeker’s Allowance?

You can visit the government website to begin the process.